Saturday, August 11, 2007

Summer's end

Well, my vacation has drawn to an end and tomorrow I'll be winging my way back to Japan. It has been a good summer. Lots of shopping, reading, eating (too much eating!) and talking.

A bit of melancholy as I leave; things that were left undone. Mostly this relates to my mom. I should have cleaned for her more but she would have been insulted so I've left it and Marcy will have to deal with her someday. (Bathroom cleaning especially, yuck.) I wasn't trying to get out of the dirty work, honest! I can see dangers for Mom everywhere and I suppose I could have insisted that my brother do something about it (his screen door is a tripping hazard, more lighting is needed for Mom to navigate between the two houses). But the family has gotten on without my advice all these years and you can always find things that might go wrong. It is enough that Mom is surrounded by love.

I talked with Marcy about getting Meals on Wheels for Mom while the family goes on vacation for 8 days at the end of this month (I can envision all sorts of dangers for Mom during that week.) We could have even coordinated things so that I would be here during that time but we didn't. Unfortunately Meals on Wheels has a lot of red tape and bottom line, if the person isn't living alone and doesn't have a limited income, then no go. Marcy's mother will have to come in daily after work to check on Mom. Do you think I should call daily from Japan?

Things accomplished? Mom has an unlisted number now. There have been no unwanted calls and no collectors.

Leiya finished reading her book, George Orwell's 1984 (I read it again too) so we have had intellectual discussions about it and maybe she can write a fairly intelligent composition about it when she starts pre-college English in September.

I took Leiya to see two colleges while we were here but somewhere in our tours I think we decided that she would have to make her own decisions with the help of her school counselors.

I've given advice to Leiya on school, on relationships, on finances, on decision making. Who knows if my advice is right or if she'll take it.

Takumi has matured and I am satisfied that he is happy and has own plans for his future.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference.


Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will direct your paths.

Proverbs 3:5-6

It's been a GREAT summer!!

4 comments:

Shelina said...

I'm glad you had a great summer, and I wish you a safe flight home. It is really hard to let people make their own decisions - whether they be your own children, or other family members. But we do have to trust their judgment. All we can do is give advice.

Quilt Pixie said...

know that your guidance is part of what allows both Leiya and Takumi to make their wise, independent choices. They might not do what you would, but they have taken your input and made it their own. :-) Safe trip....

meggie said...

Have a safe trip home Tanya.

Melinda said...

Safe travels.