Sunday, September 23, 2007

Characters

Yesterday I had a major sewing day. I had even told Tetsu that I really needed this weekend to sew (we had spent most of last weekend working) and he mistakenly assumed that I had some deadline for the Bazaar quilt. No deadline for this project but I really wanted to sew today. I felt guilty when he asked if I'd gotten much done today and did I need to spend more time on it, in which case he would wash the dishes. Just me playing around in the sewing room! I washed the dishes.

So this is what I did. Ok. My Japanese blog readers. Can you read what these say? I certainly hope so because I'm not going to get any closer than this. I don't really need a "Japanese" quilt but I'm trying to make a quilt that is all ME and this is pretty unplanned and unpredictable. I saw the characters on a website one time but instead of using the patterns there I just wonky cut and sewed. I had to keep using my Japanese character dictionary to make sure all the lines were pointing in the right direction.! I also tried making objects but I'm not completely satisfied with those yet. I'll have to practice a bit more before I show results here.

Not to keep you non-Japanese language readers in suspense. The block on the left is suppose to say "cat", and the one on the right hopefully says "dog". Japanese friends, do they pass inspection?

11 comments:

Kieny said...

Your characters look pretty good to me Tanya! I've been thinking myself of doing something with Chinese characters for a door-hanging for Chinese new year. Don't know if I can do it but there is still time to work on it. Your husband is so nice!

nonchi said...

日本語読者です。
犬と猫の字がすばらしい!!
特に感動的なのが
犬の字のはらい(わかる?)までちゃんと
パッチワークして太くなっていること!!

Quilt Pixie said...

I'd been thinking of Tonya's wonky letters in a different alphabet, but couldn't face the curves of greek and don't know any others.... I think they look great, though have no idea if they're accurate or not :-)

Patti said...

You are brave - these have to be WAY more difficult than our English letters!

Lazy Gal Tonya said...

Tanya, these are remarkable. I am so proud of you. Look at the flare on the "legs" of the dog. I can tell how much work you put into these. You are very talented.

Shelina said...

Sushi did some calligraphy where she wrote cat, but I don't know where it is so I can't compare the two. I think it is very telling that the word for cat is much more complicated than the word for dog. I too was impressed by the flares in the legs, and all the different fabric that you used.

andsewitis Holly said...

I love all your reading glasses :) and the pictures from Japan. I grew up on rice three times a day so I know what that's like. Still love it. Your house blocks and cat and dog blocks are spectacular. My, my you've been busy!

Melinda said...

Wow. Cool. Good job.

Hugs,
Melinda

meggie said...

I cant read Japanese, but they look good to me! lol.

Ming said...

They are Chinese! (Japanese borrowed many words from us. :) They look very cute to me, especially the 'dog'. It is walking!

Anonymous said...

「猫」って字ものすっごい可愛い!!やぁ~たにやさん、レイヤに一つつくってぇ!!!ってか、タニヤさんが作ってくれた文字キルトあるじゃん、あれねぇ、毎日見てるけどまったくあきないね!!本当に良い物もらいました!!!うれしい!