Saturday, October 06, 2007

Bowing

I'm sure everyone is aware that in Japan people bow to each other. This is the proper way of greeting someone, the proper way to apologize, the proper way to make a request. Waving is reserved for very young children.

I've gotten pretty good at bowing over the years and when introduced to someone I bow just like any other Japanese. If I'm feeling especially "foreign" that day or I can tell that the people I'm with are interested in me, I'll sometimes greet people with a handshake but bow is the traditional greeting. Bowing also makes everyone aware of the hierarchy of the people in the room. The person who's head goes down the farthest is lowest on the totem pole as is the person who continually bobs his head in an apologetic way. On the other hand, the person who barely nods their head or bows only once is definitely the head dog. I tend to be a bobber.

Bowing is also the accepted way of greeting people that you run into and if you see someone you know off in the distance you are supposed to bow. The other day I spied one of my students off in the rice field and called his name and waved to him and he very politely stopped in his tracks and made a deep bow to me. Obviously someone has taught him the correct manners when meeting an elder, but it made me feel like the little kid waving frantically to catch some one's attention. Since the neighbors and farmers in my neighborhood know that I'm from the States, I usually wave to them as I pass on my walks with Choco. Often they don't know what to do with this foreign custom and hesitantly raise their hands in a semi-wave. Especially with the older people, they sort of fumble with their wrists and even I can see that they feel very childish waving back at me. I appreciate their attempts to embrace my mannerism.

Bowing goes on in places where you wouldn't expect. Baseball players will line up and bow before and after a game, the first time to pledge fair play, the second time to thank the opposing team for being a worthy opponent. Another situation that I find humorous is that people will bow away while speaking on the telephone. Usually they are apologizing for some reason and they unconsciously bow to the telephone receiver as they talk!

I came across a couple of signs in the city last week that I'm pretty sure you wouldn't find in the States or at least in other Western countries. The first is a sign warning passing traffic that road construction work is being done and the company is apologizing for any inconvenience. The other sign was at the gasoline station and is asking customers to take their trash home with them. Notice the little figure even has taken his hat off to give the proper bow.

8 comments:

Lazy Gal Tonya said...

excellent post. I love your insights into Japan. That last pic is excellent - I'd never have had a clue what was going on.

Jane Weston said...

That was really interesting. I can't help but think that the Western world could do with a bit more tradition like that as it seems very respectful.

Jan said...

I agree with Tonya...your posts are so enlightening on the enigma that Japan is to many people.
When we left Mie last week on a ferry to take us to the airport, the ferry staff lined up on the dock and deeply bowed to us all as the boat pulled away.

keslyn said...

I to love to read your posts each day, our firends Chiyo and Yushi from Japan, are slowly getting use to us greeting them with a big hug and kiss, thats how we do it here in Autralia, Kerry

Quilt Pixie said...

I knew bowing was the correct greeting, yet had never thought of the depth of the bow telling someone something. Fascinating to realize how easily one could culturally offend as a visitor without intent...

Shelina said...

That really is interesting. Thank you for sharing. There is heirarchy here too - who gets introduced to whom - but I usually have a hard time figuring out who is higher on the toten pole!

andsewitis Holly said...

Dh and I have always said we wished it were also the Western custom to bow instead of shaking hands because we inevitably catch more colds this way by the handshake. I'd just do without the bobbing and heirarchy.

QuiltingFitzy said...

So do you bow or wave after the ATM? Curious minds and all. I hear about Japanese life 24/7 but your's with the female opinion is just wonderful!

Dh would live in Japan forever if he had the chance. I'd be a bobber too!