Sunday, October 07, 2007

Starbucks

Yesterday I was back in Utsunomiya (the next town over) to attend the kindergarten Sports Day. It is a small kindergarten and I was pretty sure it would be hard to park so Tetsu and I made a date of it and went to the town early for a breakfast date and then he dropped me off.

We chose to have breakfast at the new Starbucks that was built a couple of months ago. It opens at 7:00 and besides the muffins, donuts, fudge etc, they also had french toast and pancakes. I went for the french toast with a Caramel Macchiato (how do you spell that?) and Tetsu had a hot dog sandwich and Mocha frappe. Starbucks is Starbucks anywhere in the world I think. The interior has the round pick up counter, the bubble glass hanging lights, the plush chairs, Joni Mitchell playing softly as background music.

In fact the only thing I could think of (besides the Japanese menu) that was different, was the wall that I sitting in front of. But of course, maybe this is normal decor for all Starbucks and they've just added an Asian feel. Anybody ever notice? This backdrop has definite Japanese patterns in it! There are plum blossoms there and the "quilting/sashiko" pattern, Seikaiha.

I thought this was cute too, though you may be able to find it at all Starbucks. A dog leash holder! The picture isn't great but can you see that the hook has the face of a dog?! A little far to bring Choco but I'll keep the hook in mind next time I have her in the car with me and maybe we can take a coffe break together!

7 comments:

Nancy said...

Breakfast with beloved at Starbucks! How delightfully decadent! Joe and I stop at Starbucks when we are traveling and on the odd occasion that he is away from home on a weeknight overnight, I will stop at Starbucks on my way to work. We have to set those limits. Otherwise . . . .

Patti said...

There certainly aren't walls and dog leash holders like that here at our Starbucks - and we live in the state of Starbucks' birth. Our Starbucks don't have those kinds of breakfast items either. Breakfast sandwiches yes - yummy! But certainly no French toast or pancakes!

Lazy Gal Tonya said...

I was at a Starbucks yesterday with my sweetie too! It's not as nicely decorated, I have to say. More utilitiarian, but it is the Starbucks in the Louvre - very high traffic area. I've never seen breakfast items like those, and no cool dog leash holders either.

anne bebbington said...

that backdrop would make a lovely basis for a quilt

Shelina said...

That sounds like a lovely date with your husband.

I don't normally go out for coffee anymore, (and didn't go to starbucks when I went cause there were closer ones more convenient) so I can safely say I haven't seen that backdrop and haven't seen a dog leash holder at any establishment. I thought the Starbucks had muffins, but not pancakes, french toast or hot dogs.

Colleen Eskridge said...

I so love looking at your blog.Loved the wall at Starbucks...it is very different than the last one I had a machiato at.Thought the stained glass and watercolor quilt were lovely.I have not done any kind of machine quilting except meander...so thought your peacock feathers looked great!And DIFFICULT! Colleen

Luna said...

I was not ever at Starbucks, don´t know if we have one in Germany. But we have McCoffee. I think it is like Starbucks. I love it to taste different coffees. This time also i love to taste different teas, like roiboos sand thorn with vanilla .Do you know this in Japan ? Next time I will show tea and cups in my post.
This leash holder is really cute. Unfortunately Patch don´t like it to be tied up.