Saturday, December 01, 2007

Down

This day has started out badly.

From yesterday there has been a dog wandering around the fields and neighborhood. This morning it was out in front of our house. This sends me into a down spin. What can I do for the stray animals that pass by my house? Pray for them. Sometimes I ignore them though my heart breaks. I close the curtains. I sit and cry. Sometime I bring them home and know that I'm in for a long haul. (Three of our cats and Choco came by my soft heart). Tetsu is also an animal lover and he has brought home a couple too or found their owners for them. So this morning when I found the dog still here I panicked and Tetsu took over. A friendly dog and Tetsu has tied it up in the yard. Choco and the cats are in the house going wild. Both dogs are barking. I've gone out to the farmers to ask if there is a dog lost but no one claims it. And we have called the police and no one has reported a missing dog. We have called the animal shelter. They are coming in an hour. There is not much more we can do.

You say fine, the animal shelter will take over from here. Yes, they will, but the animal shelter has too many stray dogs and cats to deal with. They do not have a good system for helping owners find their pets. If the owner doesn't show within days... well, you know... And unless the dog is a lap dog, I don't think the farmers give much thought to losing an animal. If the animal is stupid enough to not be able to find it's way home then it isn't worth looking for.

I cannot lose my heart over another pitiful animal. There are too many. We have saved it from getting hit by a car and fed it but we cannot keep it as our own. For that I'm sad and relieved.

5 comments:

Quilt Pixie said...

You've made life better then you would have if you'd done nothing, just not as good as you'd like. It's hard to confront our limitedness and lack of complete control over life. I'm sorry you're having to do that right now. Know that you are loved...

anne bebbington said...

The feeling of powerlessness is very uncomfortable - but you did your best with the limited resources available to you - the person to blame is the one who let the dog go in the first place - if they are a caring owner they'll look out the dog at the shelter

meggie said...

I know just how you feel Tanya. I have taken in strays, & had to send them off to the Pound, hoping they find homes. People dont often adopt adult animals.

harts4Him said...

My heart breaks with yours. I live in a rural area of town and people drop off their unwanted pets daily. It is so sad to see them wandering around and too dangerous to pick them up in fear of them being sick or rabid. We took one stray in from the roads since we've lived here and it costed us dearly. He almost killed the neighbor's dog for coming into our yard. The only solution is for people to take care of their animals until they die and to have them spayed/neutered. Wouldn't it be great to give a home to every stray animal you see?! When we get to heaven, my dear friend.

Hugs!
Vanessa

Quilt crazy said...

Taniwa, I've missed reading your blog for several weeks, as I just came home today from a two week trip to Texas. I'm catching up on blogs and mail. Did you know your blog is mentioned in the Jan/Feb 08 Quiltmaker Magazine? I was surprised to see your blog mentioned on page 14. It says "Tanya is a quilter who lives in Japan. If you missed QM's current trip to Japan, you can catch a glimpse of quilting in Japan through Tanya's eyes." If you would like a copy of the page, let me know at my blog oregonquilt.blogspot.com Congratulations! Jeanne