Friday, February 08, 2008

Quiet Days

I'm quietly staying at home and quietly doing activities like hand piecing and quilting. The When-oh-When quilt is slowly getting quilted though I have yet to decide what to quilt on the unmarked places. I've still got about a quarter of the wide border yet to quilt (there is still a narrow white border to do) but I'M RUNNING OUT OF THREAD!

I knew that I might come to the end of the spool when I started because there was only half a spool to begin with, so the other day I stopped at one of the fabric stores to buy a new spool. I was clever enough to remember to bring the old spool along so that I could be sure of the lot numbers and this is what matched up, but look! Do those look like the same color to you? I don't think so... It was sort of a wild goose chase to begin with because I have no idea when I bought the first spool, it could have been over 10 years ago; or even where, it might have been the States, it might have been Japan. So I am satisfied that it is even this close in color and it probably won't make a difference when it gets quilted (haven't started with the new spool yet.)


As much as I enjoy machine piecing and quilting, it is nice to have simple hand work that sits by a chair and can be picked up and put down at any time. Quilting is good for the soul.

10 comments:

anne bebbington said...

Lovely handquilting Tanya - and I can't imagine you'll even start to be able to tell the difference between those colours once it's in your neat little stitches

Luna said...

Oops, I´m to late... So I commented also in your yesterdays post.
Your handquilting is wonderful. You ca stitch very evenly. Oh I wish I could do so but I have no place here in the house. If you have small kids you need a room to sew, otherwise it is too messy here with all the toys and kids things....but we have no room free.
I can imagine that quilting is good for the soul.

Nancy said...

You are so right. I am utterly lost if I don't have some handwork in a basket by my living room chair. I always keep either some hand quilting or applique or binding or WHATEVER there to pick up.

Quilt Pixie said...

I'm sure the thread will work in beautifully :-)

The Calico Quilter said...

Isn't it frustrating when you can't match a thread or yarn? Been there too. Your handquilting stitches are beautiful. I enlarged the photo to have a close look and I am truly impressed. How even they are!

BTW, I am the same person who was using "The Quilter" as an identity - just had to change it because of a conflict with an existing blog. Wish there was a database on Blogger where you could check before you choose a name.

teodo said...

Nice hand quilt
and your House quilt is fantastic. I love it very much.
ciao ciao

meggie said...

Your hand quilting is so neat! I am sure the difference wont be noticed.
You are right -quilting is good for the soul!

Annelies said...

I love working by hand.I love the patchwork and I love the quilting. It can sometimes be very quiet in the house when I am quilting and I like that very much.

keslyn said...

Happy hand quilting, your work looks very nice, I would love to have time to hand quilt but thats not possible at this time in my life, maybe one day.

keslyn said...

Happy hand quilting, your work looks very nice, I would love to have time to hand quilt but thats not possible at this time in my life, maybe one day.