Sunday, March 16, 2008

Bootiful Finished!

Thank you for all your advice yesterday about putting in pictures and paragraphing. I tried the hint about using the Edit Html bar and the bracketing and it worked! Today I'm doing this post by putting in the pictures first (and backwards) and then writing. I'll see how it goes. (Except this way takes more organizational skills than I can usually muster.)

Yesterday I spent all day in the sewing room. Such a nice way to spend a day! I got caught back up on the 365 Challenge (why am I always "catching up"?) and then went to work on "Bootiful". "Bootiful" worked out beautifully! It actually looks much nicer than the picture and I am really happy with it! Thank you Cassi!

This isn't something that I would normally think of making and I don't have anything in my house like it at all but it is just wonderful with the cowboy theme. I just love the bandana colored boot and the dyed fabric flowers are so pretty! I don't think I would have even thought up this colorscheme, red and orange and black, but it is so bright and cheery.


I used fusible web on this and then machine stitched the raw edges which was a new experience all around. I am amazed that there are so many techniques that I haven't tried in my 20 some years of doing patchwork. The machine stitching started out tricky trying to get a very narrow zig-zag stitch in black around everything. Did a bit of ripping because I didn't like the black around the flowers so changed colors on that. When I got to the machine quilting I really loosened up! Just quilted around, on, and in the area I was working on and if it needed something more just went over the first stitches and added more. I like the random look!

And I'd like to boast a little about the machine quilting on the black background fabric. I quilted lines across and then went back and put squiggles here and there. My artistic version of barbed-wired fence! Tetsu says that that's stretching it a bit far but it looks nice even if no one else knows I was trying for a fence look.

The outside borders I freely quilted daisy flowers and that was the easiest part.

And finally, following Sharon Schamber's instructions for putting on binding (thank you anonymous and Patti!) I got the binding on and it looks great! It was a lot more work Sharon's way, and I got a lot of glue on my fingers (doesn't that sound interesting. Go take a look at her website) but it does turn out well. Maybe if I do it a few more times it will get easier!

13 comments:

artfilstitch said...

What a Bootiful little quilt! You are good! I love everything about it and your creativity is scrumptious.
Thanks for sharing.
Liz

Anonymous said...

I identified the barbed wire before I read that part of the post. It's perfect for this quilt. I really enjoy your blog.

Sarah

meggie said...

I knew it was barbed wire too. I initiially thought it was in the fabric pattern. Very well done Tanya.
Thank you also for the tip about Sharon. Very interesting tutorial.

BobbieBentNeedle said...

As a fourth generation Texan - daughter of a "cowboy" and a grand-daughter of a "dirt farmer" - I can verify that your barbed wire (or as we say here in Texas "Bob War")is marvelously realistic! What a wonderful little quilt you have created - or rather - what a BOOTIFUL quilt!

Allie said...

Love the barbed wire! Noticed it right away, even before I read that far. The quilt is darling, you did a GREAT job. Not too sure about the binding tute - all that glue! Doesn't it get on your iron? I've ruined a few irons with fusible web, lol.

anne bebbington said...

Absolutely brilliant - and the machine quilting is inspired - well done Tanya

QuiltingFitzy said...

IT DOES TOO..LOOK LIKE BARBED WIRE!!

(and you can't work "ahead" on the 365..now can you?)

Love yer stuff cowgirl!

Annelies said...

Well done Tanya, your quilt is stunning.
Good to hear you caught up with the 365challenge quilt. I have just finished my 14th row. "Only" two rows to go.

Shelina said...

It is bootiful Tanya! Congrats on a great finish. The quilting is excellent - the barbed wire is inspired.

Lynne in Hawaii said...

Tanya, obviously Tetsu does not understand the concept of barbed wire...you did a wonderful job on the machine quilting! The entire quilt is just a treat for the eyes. Thanks.

Bonnie said...

Thank you so much for the package you sent! I love the blocks and the bento box wrap..it's beautiful!

Bonnie

Mary said...

I KNEW it was barb wire before you even said so in the post - great job on this little quilt.

The quilt for your friend is lovely too. I don't think I realized before today that you don't use first names when referring to your good friends. I'm curious whether you use first names when you're talking to each other.

The Calico Cat said...

That barbed wire looks great - I thought it was part of the fabric.

There are a ton of different types of barbed wire. I have heard that there are people who collect it...