Sunday, March 23, 2008

When-oh-When finished!

Well, the big news today is that I have finished the When-oh-When quilt!

You may have noticed that I haven't been posting about it much but there isn't too much to show in the last stages of hand quilting. After quilting criss-crosses in the pieced border there was a narrow border where I quilted a rope variation pattern and then I went back and added a few more quilting stitches on the inner part of the quilt. I suppose I could still find places to quilt if I wanted to but I think this is enough and I don't want to clutter it up.

The last step of course was the binding and I chose to use Sharon Schamber's method again using glue. Doesn't that sound terrifying!? It was much easier the second time around and I have to agree that it turns out a nice binding. Of course she recommends a certain type of glue and a applicator tip both of which I can't get easily so... I improvised. Daring of me don't you think? Listen to this. I used Japanese window papering glue, the kind Japanese use to put window shades on wooden frames! Sharon said her glue was water soluable so Japanese paper glue seemed the closest. No tip available so I found a light pull bobble, drilled a hole in the glue bottle, slipped the bobble in and Ta-Da! A glue applicator! I even washed the quilt yesterday and yes, the glue residue seems to wash away. Give Sharon's method a try!

The When-oh-When is actually from a pattern I found in the April 2000 issue of the Better Home and Gardens' American Patchwork and Quilting magazine. In the magazine it is called Sam's Quilt but I gave it my own name (and that's how you've heard about it) when I wondered when I'd ever get it done.

So, here is my When-oh-When! I still need to make a label but I am unveiling it anyway. I started in August of last year and have worked pretty steadily on it the whole time (well, you know me. Lots of small projects being undertaken at the same time.)

Isn't it interesting how a quilt that you've worked on for months becomes like a member of the family? I've grown to love talking to and working on the When-oh-When!

32 comments:

dot said...

all I can say is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!

AmyB said...

Absolutely gorgeous, and well worth the effort. I've enjoyed seeing your progress on this one.

Elaine Adair said...

Oh my goodness - it's just gorgeous !!! - I especially like the curling lines in the light border. But ... your outer border with the squares on the diagonal is EXACTLY what I'm working on with my Easy Peasy Spool Quilt! What a coincidence - and honestly, I didn't copy, but I DO remember really loving it when you showed it months ago! Great minds think alike! It's just so lovely, Tanya! Does your husband like it?

I'll post my project in a few days because I'm hand quilting it also.

Shelina said...

oooh Whoo Champaign all around. It is gorgeous. I just love the rope quilting and all the other handquilting you did.

CONNIE W said...

It's beautiful. Looks like lots of work went into this quilt, no wonder it took a while to complete. You did wonderful work.

Patti said...

This is certainly a work of art Tanya! Your hand stitching is beautiful. I love the quilting designs you chose for each space - they enhance the piecing just perfectly. Do you have a special place you are going to hang this? If I remember correctly you use traditional beds so can't use a quilt on your bed, right? I hope it can hang somewhere where everyone can see it - such a beautiful piece should be on display. You have good reason to be very proud of this accomplishment.

Mary said...

Congratulations!

It's beautiful and I love that you've shared it with us as you've worked on it. I like to see quilts in progress.

Tracey in CT said...

It is gorgeous! Definitely worth all the work and effort!
Happy Easter!

anne bebbington said...

It's absolutely beautiful Tanya - it may seem like it's taken an age to you but to the rest of us the quilting has actually seemed to happen pretty quickly - do you have some little quilt fairies helping you out at night :o) Gorgeous! you should be very proud of it!

Hedgehog said...

Congratulations on this big finish! Hope you are enjoying the Easter holiday.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Wow..it's stunning! Well done for getting it finished!

Anja.M said...

It's beautiful Tanya!!

Nancy said...

It is magnificent! Gives me a little hope for "What Was I Thinking?"

n, np

Annelies said...

What a very beautiful quilt ! Congratulations !

Diana said...

Absolutely beautiful! I love the quilting on the light inner border--it really adds a lot of texture to that space. What a wonderful finish!

jovaliquilts said...

I love the subtle color variations, really nice! And such detailed quilting -- no wonder it has become a member of the family!

teodo said...

Tanya congratulations your- When oh When-it's fantastic.
ciao ciao

artfilstitch said...

Tanya,
Your handquilting is wonderful. I always look forward to your blog and seeing your many accomplishments. You are wonderful at using your talents. I love When Oh When.. Hope you, your family and church family had a Blessed Easter Holiday.
Liz

Christine Thresh said...

Your When oh When is "Now oh Now." It is so beautiful. Your hand-quilting is lovely. Congratulations on a job well done.

Bellydancingknitter said...

The quilt is beautiful, I loved seeing the pictures of your living room, you have many quilts, they give the room a very cozy feeling!

Elaine Adair said...

Hey Tanya - I just posted MY border on my Spools Quilt which is a LOT like Yours! I truly don't believe I copied (hope not) but I think our borders are a really GREAT design for a border.

I'm keeping your quilt as NEW because it's such a visual inspiration. Just gorgeous!

Helen said...

Tanya, your quilt is just so beautiful. Congratulations!

The Calico Cat said...

Congrats on the finish!

cher said...

hip hip hooray for such a gorgeous finish. Your handquilting is stunning.

Chookyblue...... said...

your quilt is lovely............

Marilyn R said...

Your When Oh When quilt is simply wonderful!

Katie said...

It's just wonderful!

Rose Marie said...

Beautiful ..... just beautiful and I've enjoyed seeing your progress with this quilt!

Nadine said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Tanya ! It's sooo beautiful. I knew you would finish it :>)
Maybe I should be there to baptize it ? :>) Lol Lol

Enjoy, my friend !
XOXOXOXOXOXOXO
NADINE

The Calico Quilter said...

Is there a quilt competition you could enter this in? It is absolutely beautiful and should be seen and appreciated in a show! Well, come to think of it, probabaly more bloggers will see it that people at a quilt show! LOL

jane said...

congratulations on a lovely piece of work, and it was lovely to have a peep into your home in the previous post.

liane said...

wouawww i love it . congratulation. quilting are perfect.