Thursday, October 23, 2008

Dog and Pod

No great subject to post about today so I'll tell you about my day yesterday.

Choco escaped again. Sigh. I don't know what I'm going to do about this dog. I don't know if I should praise her or scold her. I don't know if I should be happy or upset. Choco was still in the yard at 6:30 when one class of kids went home. (She was barking up a storm.) At 7:10 one of the little girls from the earlier class came into the house to get her pencil case that she had forgot. When she opened the front door to leave (her mother was waiting in the car) a very muddy Choco bounded into the house. Of course they met head on and it took me a second for it to register that Choco was not in the back yard where she was supposed to be. Of course Choco lunged at the girl and went all ferocious. I grabbed Choco and the girl ran out of the house unhurt. The mother didn't even get out of the car. It was scariest to me though that if the girl had met Choco in the yard and I hadn't been right there that she really could have gotten hurt. But again, Choco was just coming home from a happy jaunt around the fields. She didn't expect to meet the girl head on either.

I'm happy that Choco comes back after she runs away. I'm happy that she didn't get hit by a car. I'm happy that she didn't really bite the girl. I'm upset that she attacked and that I can't trust her. I'm upset that she is so smart to slip out of the numerous collars I have on her...

Do you remember this picture? I took it in July during the rainy season. This is a picture of the beautiful lotus flowers in the lotus field not far from me.

And THIS is the lotus pod now that the leaves and flowers have all dried up and are brown and sagging. I half waded into the flooded field and could just reach this one pod. Tetsu was hanging onto me so that I didn't fall completely in. He couldn't understand the fascination to a dirty old pod but I find the ridges and craters very interesting...

"Don't tell me you're going to put that on your blog!"

The pod itself is quite hard already and the seeds are rattling around inside and occasionally falling out. I have seen interesting dried flower arrangements using these pods (and fabric!) but I'm not sure I can figure it out.

8 comments:

Julie said...

It is a fascinating piece of flora.

Quilt Pixie said...

that pod is absolutely beautiful! I love how the seas poke out of some craters, and have compeltely fallen out of others...

Rather then a collar for your chocco have you thought of trying a harness? because it includes the two front legs its no easy feat to slip out of one of them...

Feather on a Wire said...

I'm so pleased to have found your blog!
Your husband sounds like mine. I.E. why are you raking a photo of that?!?

Amanda said...

Oh dear, poor you, Choco is a bit of a trial isn't she! Love the pod - if you could get a few more you could just put them in a tall vase. Do you think Tetsu would go wading for you?

Marilyn R said...

I find the pod intersting too. That a beautiful flower would leave a seed pod that at first glance is ugly is amazing to me.

Diane said...

I have a little dog who I have to be careful around people. I understand your frustration. My dog is also a barker and will not stop until the company leaves. Maybe we need the Dog Whisperer to train our dogs. :)

Mart Bright said...

Hi Tanya,

Here we have this "dog whisperer" who has a TV show--he comes to people's homes when they have problem dogs. He appears to work miracles on them! Too bad he doesn't travel to Japan!

kate said...

Love the pod...never knew what they were from. Have you considered a dog harness instead of a collar? Makes it harder to escape.