Monday, February 02, 2009

Cats continued...

My kitties are bundled up here and there trying to keep warm. I don't know where Chip was on this day but the other kitties were making friends with this great stuffed cat one of the kindergarten teachers gave me. (She said her sister made it!)

Calico Quilter asked a couple of weeks back where Velvet was. Well, Velvet is the hermit of the bunch and rarely makes an appearance. I feel very sorry for him because he has always been such a even tempered cat and tended to go along with whatever anyone wanted from him. Up until Toi and Chip came. Their entry into our home messed up the former cat hierarchy and Vel got pushed to the bottom of the ladder (even though he's the oldest!) He spends all his days under an armchair in a cave he's made for himself. I put in a heated cushion and he seems very content but he is afraid to come out of the cave and sometimes we have puddles down there.

Recently I bought a book called Cat vs. Cat recommended by a fellow blogger, and while I realized most of what is going on in my cat family, it is interesting nonetheless. I have been spraying Feliway, a cat pheromone, in some of the places where Vel camps out. It is supposed to give cats a feeling of security.

And I also went out and bought a cat toy though Tetsu thought with all the yarn and threads I have around that I hardly needed to be buying toys. But I got a good one and Chip and Toi love it! The other cats are much too sedate to be playing with any toy...

Anyway, Vel has been showing slight signs of returning to society. He is sitting on my lap now (granted I had to pull him out of his cave but he is staying with me). He seems to be able to tolerate Toi and Toi wants to cuddle with everyone! I was surprised Vel would allow himself to be used as a cushion but the two of them stayed on my lap for the longest time. I didn't get any handwork done!

Toi is such a lovable cat and he loves everyone. He always looks like he is smiling at you! And I love his toes! He just sits there so proper with his sweet white toes and that tail tucked around them so nicely! Just looking at him makes me smile!



14 comments:

meggie said...

I love an orange cat!! Toi is really special, & hasn't he grown up so quickly! All your cats look so healthy.
I still say we could do with a cat, but Gom still says no!

Amanda said...

Poor Velvet, but some cats are just timid and take a long time to adjust to changes. I'm not surprised you weren't able to do anything though, with them both settled on your lap like that; when it's such a special moment you just don't want to risk disturbing them do you. Your Toi reminds me so much of my much loved Orlando, another marmalade cat.

Chocolate Cat said...

That is a lovely photo of Toi with his tail curled around him, he looks so distinguished!! Love you piled high with cats! - my problem is as soon as they settle down I need to go to the bathroom but don't want to disturb them so sit there very uncomfortably!!

Caron said...

A perfect picture of Toi!!! How absolutely precious!

Rae Ann said...

Toi likes getting his picture taken! It is a wonderful picture of a content kiddy. I feel sorry for Velvet. Perhaps with a little more time, he will come out and join the crowd. Rae Ann

Quiltin' LibraryLady said...

Toi is indeed a handsome cat. I hope Velvet does decide to be more social, hiding under a chair has to be lonely for him. When our #2 cat came to live with us there were disputes between him and our #1 cat. After a while #1 decided she would live in the basement and didn't come upstairs again for two years. Finally one day she marched up the stairs & has reclaimed the whole house. It's been five years now & they still wouldn't dream of cuddling up together, though #1 doesn't hiss & growl at #2 quite as much.

Karen said...

Poor Velvet. I hope things get better soon. Your cats are so beautiful. My sister blogs about her cats at: www.toomanytails.blogspot.com

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Lovely picture of Toi and his toes :o)

It's always lovely to see and hear about your cats.

BethanyQuilt said...

Love the cat stories (but I love all your stories) - and what a precious photo. It seems he knows just how to pose for your blog!!

Mary said...

I don't know how you manage to get anything done with all your animals. Chesty keeps me busy and usually manages to *need* something at the most inopportune times!

mamaspark said...

I love your cats! They are so cute. Toi reminds me of my Aiden! So sweet.

Lazy Gal Tonya said...

great pics. I LOVE that one of you with Velvet and Toi - sooo sweet.

The Calico Quilter said...

Poor lovely Velvet. Reduced to being a kitty cushion. It's hard on the older cats when there's a change in the household. In the last photo, Toi has the smuggest expression I have ever seen on a cat. Butter wouldn't melt in his mouth! You'd think he arranges himself for maximum cuteness - OK, toes all in a line, tail wrapped just so - I'm ready for my closeup, Mr. DeMille!

The Calico Cat said...

Meow - I love all of your kitty stories.