Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Winding Ways

Yesterday I spent most of the afternoon cutting out pieces for the Winding Ways quilt. I think I even said a prayer when I put in my first cut! "Lord, please don't let me mess up with this quilt!" You know... The first cut and you're committed! And also in the back of my mind were the lovely ladies who had sent me the batiks to begin with. I don't want to ruin their good will either!

So I traced and I cut and I traced and I cut and I have this up on my design wall. (Which is really a wall with dirty flannel on it. Dirty because it has been folded up in the closet and the cats have claimed it for so long. I haven't designed anything in ages.) I'm going to show you this in slow stages so that you can give me advice. I used eight of the batiks but at this point I think I should have used more. I am not planning to make a bed quilt. More like for the wall. And I'd thought I'd do this with 4 blocks by 4 blocks. However looking at it this morning makes me think I need to get some more of the batiks out and maybe take away some of the light blue... My aim yesterday was just to get these up on the wall so I haven't been "designing" anything yet. Those are slapped up there. What do you think? More color? Try to get the blues on one side and the yellows on another? It needs a little spark but I'm not sure what.

On other fronts, yesterday's cat toy was captured and destroyed. Lasted a whole day in our house. Toi has sworn to protect us from any cat toy infiltration...

9 comments:

Karen said...

Beautiful!

Quilt crazy said...

I find the blue circles that appear as a secondary pattern interesting. Looks like fun!

quiltmom said...

Tanya,
I love your cat Toi- He reminds me of my Mars cat- Mars is a princess who thinks she is the boss. Our schdoodle dog Dusty also thinks that she is the boss so it makes for some interesting situations..LOL
Your winding ways is coming along nicely- I am so pleased that you didn't give up - it is a beauty ..
Regards,
Anna

BUMBLE BEANS said...

I love it as it is. its different! so nice to see something that everyone isn't making!

Sonnja said...

Lovely photos of your cats.
Kind regards,

Sonnja & Bear Zonn

Sandy said...

Tanya, I follow you from Planet Textile.

I think the blue is just right. It serves to help the eye move around the piece.

Keep going as you are, and don't fuss too much. It will be more in keeping with the random patterning in the batiks.

Love following your cross culture stories. It IS easier to get acclimatised to another culture when your husband is from there. But every now and then you do come across something you don't get straight away.
Sandy transplanted into the UK in a similar way as you to Japan...but wouldn't change a thing.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

This is a pattern I've wanted to do for awhile...but I haven't started yet!! Looks great!

Quilt Pixie said...

love the start you've made.... I really like the blue personally, and if anything would be adding more lights so it melded better :-)

The Calico Quilter said...

The photo of Toi is great. It's like he's saying "Is it dead yet?"