Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"Engrish"

Wednesday. I ought to start a Wordless Wednesday as many of you do. I never have much time to post on Wednesday. Oh well, how about some English foibles I found this week. Those are always kind of fun.



This is what I found on a package of dog potty sheets. I've only ever kept big dogs so I don't even know if these are sold in the States. You know, sort of like thin diaper material that absorbs at the bottom of the tray that the indoor dogs use... Now tell me. Why was this phrase put on this package? What were they trying to say and what does this have to do with doggie liners? And with the raspberry constituents, are they expecting you to style your hair or your eye? (Yes, doggie liners.)


This is a sign I see when driving to and from the city. It is for a hair salon. Excuse me if I don't go there to get my hair styled. I wonder if they know what Oops means. Oops like in "Oops, I cut off too much of your hair there." or Oops like in "Sorry. Do you want to take your ear home in a plastic bag?"

7 comments:

Nancy said...

Hilarious!

Elaine Adair said...

huh?????

Rae Ann said...

Too funny

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Very funny!

meggie said...

I sat here laughing out loud to the dog!
I have met that Oops hairdresser!

The Calico Quilter said...

Yep, OOPS is not the thing you want to associate with a hair stylist! I read the doggie liner label four times and it made less sense each time. BTW, I've seen the doggie liners sold here - some people call them wee wee pads, and use them for house breaking training.

Pennie and David said...

I love the English translations, it reminds me of when my DH worked for a Consumer Magazine way back in 1971, they were testing nappy pins and because we had a brand new baby I did some of the testing.
There were these very pretty pink nappy pins...(ooops you call them Diapers don't you!) Anyway these pins were to use for pinning up the toweling cloth that goes around a babies bottom, before disposables of course... the Label said...
'Cudgel your Brain for many uses' and there was a photo of a baby's nappy, one of a lady pinning her scarf and so on. LOL I've never forgotten... 'Cudgel your brain for many uses' it's become part of our family language.