Friday, July 17, 2009

Quilting friends

Yesterday I got together with my quilting friends and got caught up on all the news. Two ladies come from so far away (three hours away!) yet they faithfully make the trip. It was so dang hot and muggy though that we really didn't have energy to do anything but just chat. One poor lady was quilting the bazaar quilt but we are going to retire that for a month until it cools off again.

While chatting we keep our hands moving by doing some coloring with the Hugs and Kisses project that Lorraine sent us months ago. There are 13 blocks that need to be colored with color pencils and so we all mindlessly colored and talked and admired our work. Not really a sewing day but relaxing none the less.

And Mrs. Furui had pictures of the two quilts that she sent to A Thousand Colors for the Children of Abruzzo. I had asked her if she might want to make a quilt to send along with the two that I made a couple months ago and Mrs. Furui made two. But we discovered that it was much less expensive to send each quilt separately instead of all in one box. And then I left Japan in a hurry to be in the States so I never saw Mrs. Furui's quilts. Aren't they beauties!!!




Mrs. Furui's quilts are always so elegant and subdued. Every time I look at something she makes I wonder what quilting reveals of the creator's personality. This is especially true when Mrs. Furui and I make the SAME quilt. Gosh! Mine are always so hodge podge and crazy looking. Mrs. Furui's always look so refined.

Mrs. Furui has not tried out machine quilting and she specializes in extremely detailed hand quilting. (She is just finishing up a MASTERPIECE in hand quilting for her son. I hope to have pictures of that in the next month!) Even these charity quilts were hand quilted in love as fast as her slender fingers could sew!
















And here is the latest picture of our bazaar quilt with a few of the rows quilted. Looking good! Looking good!

7 comments:

Allie said...

Mrs. Furui's quilts are so pretty! And I love the bazaar quilt. I love the coloring you're all doing, what a perfect project for a hot day!

Connie W said...

Such talent and beauty in the quilts. I think all of you are amazing.

Sandy said...

Love the quilt pictures. Is the bazaar quilt a raffle or sold to the highest bidder.
Here is a web site for all the cat lovers. It is a game and can be done. Have fun. I know you will enjoy this page as much as I did. http://www.members.shaw.ca/gf3/circle-the-cat.html
The first time momma cat with 3 babies a week old has moved them. I don't know where. Will have to watch for them. They were right by my front door.
Keep cool.

Sandy said...

Love the quilt pictures. Is the bazaar quilt a raffle or sold to the highest bidder.
Here is a web site for all the cat lovers. It is a game and can be done. Have fun. I know you will enjoy this page as much as I did. http://www.members.shaw.ca/gf3/circle-the-cat.html
The first time momma cat with 3 babies a week old has moved them. I don't know where. Will have to watch for them. They were right by my front door.
Keep cool.

Yuki said...

If you are selling raffle tickets, I'd love to buy some. Great looking quilts!!

ttfn :) Yuki in hot, hot, hot Silver Spring, Maryland USA

Diana said...

I love Mrs. Furui's quilts (the children so love them)and also the bazaar quilt is also exquisite too.

Marilyn R said...

Mrs. Furui's quilts are beautiful. I just love the bazaar quilt. The scrappier the better as far as I am concerned!