Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Shopping depression

I tried swimsuit shopping this weekend. I don't know what I expect to see in the mirror but it certainly wasn't the figure staring back at me from the mirror. Goodness gracious! Do I look like this every time I go to the pool?! What have I been thinking? The woman has lost her mind!

Of course, at the pool there are very few mirrors (and one gets a major shock seeing the naked body in the locker room mirror anyway, so a body in a swimsuit will usually look better than that!) And at the store one has to leave on underclothes that makes the swimsuits look like sausage casing. And forget the fact that I was too lazy to take off my knee socks... But even with all these considerations swimsuit buying was a flop.

The first place I went I never got into the dressing room to begin with. Excuse me? $130 for a swimsuit that is less than flattering? No way. The store should pay me for the psychological damages instilled when trying on swimsuit. And no support in these flimsy, Lycra things? Obviously these are not designed for Westerners. At the next store I found swimsuits within my price range but could I get even the large sizes over my hips? Nope. Okay try double large. Yes, that gets on but not all of me gets in. I refused to try on triple large and besides all the styles had high necks, long sleeves, and zippers. Made me think of the pearl divers who go out into the ocean in dead winter to gather oysters...

So I came home depressed and will continue wearing my tired out suit. I've sent a plea to Leiya to see if she can find me a swimsuit since we are similar in size, she knows my tastes and probably doesn't want her mother to make too much of a fool of herself. Of course the odds of finding a swimsuit in Ohio in December are pretty low...

I'm losing more and more interest in swimming...

No comments: