Wednesday, May 05, 2010

'Twas brillig...

Yesterday Tetsu had a day off and we took off in the morning to enjoy a day out. With all the cars backed up in traffic (40 kilometer traffic jam on the expressways!) you can bet we stayed pretty much at home.

First stop was Denny's for breakfast. Someone once wanted to know what is served at Denny's so I snapped a picture of the morning breakfast menu. Normal things like pancakes, bacon and eggs, toast (not huge portions but serviceable).

But there were also un-Denny like things on the Japanese breakfast menu such as fermented beans, grilled fish, udon noodles. I opted for some cheese toast and vegetable soup (normal soup but there were some bamboo shoots in it too) and Tetsu went Japanese style with rice, miso soup, fermented beans(see how sticky they are on his chopsticks!) and bacon and eggs. And lots of coffee.

And after that we went to the movie theater and saw Alice in Wonderland... Johnny Depp style. That was sort of fun. We saw it with Japanese voice over because I'd heard that trying to read those subtitles while watching the 3-D screen can be tiring on the eyes (for Tetsu). I can manage listening to the Japanese without getting headaches better than he can read the subtitles.

Alice in Wonderland brought back memories of my father who was a great Lewis Carroll fan. Although my father wasn't "fatherly" in many senses of the word, I do remember sitting together with him in his chair when I was 4 or 5 and listening to him read Alice in Wonderland (no picture books. The whole shebang from start to finish. AND Alice in the Lookinglass.) I loved to hear him recite the Jabberwocky to me in his rolling voice and just to please my father I memorized the Jabberwocky too. Yesterday while watching the movie I found myself going through the poem and wondering what my father would have thought of Johnny Depp's portrayal of the Mad Hatter.

...And the mome raths outgrabe.

No comments: