Friday, May 14, 2010

Lost thimble

Ding-Dang-Dung-it. I have lost my thimble. And that means I'm sitting here with "the Monster in the Living room" and am not able to sew a stitch. And I even have quilting time!! Nothing is more frustrating.

My thimbles get lost regularly. Mi is the culprit. I keep my scissors and thread and thimbles in a cup on a table (cat tree) by my sewing chair. I am smart enough to know that if I leave the thimbles and spools ON the cat tree then the cats will consider them play toys. So I have always kept them in a cup. Easier to reach, easier to put away, I don't have to bother with opening a sewing box etc.

Mi is still a kitten at heart. She can turn ANYTHING into a toy and Tetsu and I have great fun watching her antics. Jump, turn, somersault, bat, spin, twist, lunge etc. etc. But she discovered that she can pull things out of the cup and onto the floor go the spools, the needles (dangerous!) the scissors (deadly!) and the thimbles... And if I don't go thundering into the room at the sound of falling thimbles then Mi and other cats will start a game of "bat the thimble under the furniture." And THAT means I go crawling around on my hands and knees with a flashlight reclaiming my thimbles.

Well, Mi was at play again and I have located ONE thimble but the other is no where to be found. I use one on the left hand and one on the right hand when I quilt with a hoop so I need BOTH. You'd think I would have more than two thimbles being a longtime, fairly prolific quilter but I have searched my drawers and my sewing box (I do own one) and nary an extra thimble to be found.

I guess I'll have to go to the next town this weekend and buy three or four thimbles. And I guess I'll get out my sewing box and start using it regularly again... Mi has enough toys. I'm not giving her any more thimbles.

No comments: