Saturday, June 05, 2010

Patches and Pinwheels

I got to the sewing machine a bit this week. Sometimes I go in my sewing room and think,

"You've got projects up on the wall and in the drawers, you DO NOT want to start something new."

That's true.

Other times I go in the sewing room and think,

"You have WAY TOO MUCH fabric in here! Unless you do something with it you are just being a glutton!"

That's true too.

I have bins of strips so I started sewing those together and slicing them every which way. I think I'm making one of Bonnie's Patches and Pinwheels quilts. And this time I'm going to Quilt-As-You-Go. Many blogger friends sent links and advice about my production of quilt tops with no way to quilt them and QAYG seems like it is a technique I should master.

My blocks are made. These are just laid out on the floor right now. Next I'll put them together into blocks of 5 by 6. And finally I'll try machine quilting those (I have no idea how yet) before putting the blocks together. I suppose I could do it block by block but that seemed like a lot of handwork later on stitching up the back. Sewing into strips might even be a better use of batting... but anyway I'm doing it in chunks this time. Gives me a good reason to make more tops and try different QAYG methods.

I'm still hand quilting. Still making another Alabama Beauty block and a couple spool blocks. Still appliqueing a BOM. I've got my hands full. Tetsu can't understand why I just don't finish one thing before beginning another.

No comments: