Thursday, May 05, 2011

Hodge-podge quilt

Today is Boy's Day when carp kites are flying in the fields and from windows. They are quite expensive so we've never had real carp kites and have to make do with this little wall hanging that I made last year (or the year before?) I had another one that we used for years but it is with Leiya now.

Leiya. Did you put out your carp wall hanging?

*******

So, what have I been doing already this morning? I'm making a hodge-podge quilt of different shaped blocks. I have most of the blocks ready to put together but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it! I feel dense. I'm sure it shouldn't be too different from wonky block building or even the theory behind paper piecing but no matter how I draw it out I get two small blocks that are going to have to be inset. Can anybody else figure out what I'm doing wrong? I don't want a traditional setting of rows with lattice in between... I'd like the blocks to be sort of scattered...

Each block needs to be surrounded by background fabric and I don't want to cut the background up too much...

Also, because my background fabric is a bit dear (meaning I can't buy anymore... and I've probably got JUST enough) I don't want to experiment too much before cutting.

This is probably the same way people make orphan block quilts... Which I've never done either...

HELP!

No comments: