Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Rainbow

Yesterday, Marie sent me an Australian Homespun magazine to keep my mind spiced with creativity. On the forward page was this quote:

"I don't know why it is we are in such a hurry to get up
when we fall down. You might think we would lie there
and rest for a while."
Max Eastman, 1883-1969

This describes me perfectly right now! I think I expected that with the doctors' magic hands, knee pain and jerkiness would disappear along with the anesthesia. I was ready to jump up and walk the day after surgery. But the first day doing physical therapy left me hanging on to the practice rails and only getting therapy in my arms! (I couldn't put any weight on my knee.) I came back from that first session sniffling. Hey... I thought I was going to be able to walk!

It took me three days to throw away my crutches which when you think about it is a miracle in itself and don't get me wrong, I am grateful to God and grateful to the medical field! I came home with a slight limp and slow going on the stairway. But in my mind I am ready to jump into my previous schedule.

Unfortunately I find I can no longer sit on my knees Japanese style (let me rephrase that. I can no longer get down on the floor at all!) After a week I am STILL going up and down stairs one step at a time. I STILL look like a lopsided robot when I walk. I can't take Choco out at all nor even bring her into the house in the evening...

Frustration is mounting...

My good church friends, Kaoru-san, Konuma-san and Tomoko-san gave me this beautiful stained glass piece that Konuma-san made for me. I have it in my living room window right now. It reminds me that God made Noah wait 40 days and nights for the rain to stop and then even longer for the land to dry. But the promise was always there that things would return to normal...


No comments: