Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Grandma, Grandma, Grandma...

Yesterday started out normally... Marcy and I had plans to hit a fabric shop in the afternoon, but mornings can be devoted to routine.

I convinced my mother that she and I should take a shower together. Good thing I come from the land of public bathing. Grandma's past caring and I am used to running around naked in front of strangers. Grandma and I had our shower with Marcy waiting to towel dry on the other side of the shower stall. I don't know how they manage on other shower days. It is a real job with not much action from Grandma! Lots of hilarity as I washed between her toes.

"Ooh! You're tickling me!"

So out of the shower the two of us came... sopping and smelling fresh. And then a neighbor came visiting and then Marcy and I got ready to go to the fabric store. But wait!

"Grandma? Are you alright?"

"Hmmmh. I don't think so..." and that was the start of a long afternoon at the emergency room.

My mother has these bouts of vomiting at least once a year. Every summer that I am here we end up taking her to the emergency room and sometimes Grandma has to stay in the hospital a few days. It is practically part of my summer activities! For someone 90 years old, and in this heat, Marcy doesn't wait around to just to see... She bundles Grandma in the car and off we GO with Grandma moaning and groaning and hanging onto a bag.

Once in the emergency room though Grandma perked up and when the nurse asked her what was wrong today she answered,

"Nothing wrong. I feel just fine."

Marcy and I looked at each other.

"Trying to make us look like liars Grandma? You were pretty sick just a bit ago."

"I was? I don't remember that."

But all's well that ends well. After a few hours Grandma came home and by evening she was suggesting that she take everyone out for dinner. (She makes this offer every 30 minutes or so.) She probably remembers nothing of her discomfort yesterday.

Well, maybe our annual trip to the emergency room is over. Marcy and I did NOT get to a fabric store... Maybe today?

No comments: