Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Tuesday Mornings

On Tuesday mornings I have a class of four ladies who come for English. Recently we are reading and discussing the book "Where the Heart Is" by Billie Letts. In years past we have read "To Kill a Mockingbird","The Phantom Tollbooth", "Sidetracked Home-Executives", "Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle", "American Pie", "Holes" and "The Last Lecture". I guess I'm the one who chooses the books and we've certainly had a variety.

The ladies come from quite far away. They car pool and drive about 30 minutes to my house. Sometimes (like last week) we go out to lunch together. Once a year we try to go away for a day of sightseeing and once we even had a stay overnight! These ladies have been coming to my house weekly for over 10 years. Maybe closer to 15! I have a feeling that I learn more from them than they do from me...

For the first hour of "class" we chat (in English) about our past week. Places we've gone, arguments with husbands, funny incidents in our lives. A couple of us have sought out advice on child raising and more recently about living with aging parents. The "more mature" ladies, who have already traveled this road, are gentle counselors. Finally, during the second hour, we "study".

On my part, I make a pot of coffee and try to supply something to nibble on. This morning I'm making an apple crisp. But more often than not, my friends will bring rice crackers or cakes from their outings or chocolates that they've been given. I remember years ago when my children were still around, Takumi saying,

"Tuesdays are great. You always have some good leftovers from your Tuesday class!"

Tuesdays are not good for dieting but are a warm and happy time!

I'm posting the Apple Crisp recipe today... maybe for Leiya. She's been asking about things she can cook. This comes straight from Betty Crocker so it is nothing special. I added almond slices just because I had them... Looks like I used dark brown sugar rather than brown sugar. No, I didn't burn it!

Apple Crisp

4 cups sliced apples
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oats
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup margarine

Heat oven to 370 °. Arrange apples in pan. Mix remaining ingredients and sprinkle over apples.

Bake 30 minutes until apples are tender. Serve with cream or ice cream.

No comments: