Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Knock, knock

I try to be a good English teacher. I want to inspire the children I teach. I hope that they at least think of English as something fun and that maybe someday when they are in Jr. high or high school or college or who knows where, that they will think back and say,

"English isn't so hard. I remember having a lot of fun learning English when I was in kindergarten. Maybe I'll give it a try again."

We are winding up the school year this week. With all my kindergarten and pre-school English classes we've been practicing a little skit with the scenario being that the children are visiting me at my house. They come to my front door, they tell me who they are, they are invited in, and I serve them cookies.

"Knock, knock."

"Who's there?"

"My name is Atsushi."

"Oh, hi Atsushi! Nice to see you!"

"Nice to see you."

"Please come in! How are you Atsushi?"

"I'm good. (or fine, or great, or happy, or tired, or cold etc.)"

"Atsushi, do you want a cookie?"

"Yes, please."

"Please have a cookie."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. Well, bye. Take care!"

"Good-bye. Take care."

Each and every child comes forward and goes through the skit (a few of them can even answer if I ask them how old they are...) And yesterday I brought REAL cookies! Oh did the eyes light up!

Yesterday I asked the teacher to take a few pictures of me and the children for my blog. Oh my gosh! Do I look like that?


What do you think? Am I inspiring this child or frightening him to death! Look at him grip the back of his chair!

Sigh...

No comments: