I chose to stitch-in-the-ditch by hand on this quilt but you can't really see any of the work. I look at these pictures now and wonder why I chose this lay out... or if I made a mistake when putting the blocks together. Some of those blue blocks really stand out.
This quilt was started two summers ago... Almost three years in the making! I saw the pattern on someone's blog but they seemed to be using Inklingo which I don't have so I made my own pattern. I quickly found that all those tiny points and the center seams made this a more difficult quilt than I'd imagined, but nice things take hard work.
I was working with batiks at the time and batiks seemed to go together with the darker colors. Later I started raiding my scrap box and pretty soon I had two piles dark background and light background blocks. On the final placement, I tried to move the backgrounds from dark to light but a couple of those blocks seem out of place now. Not wrong, just maybe not what I'd planned. Oh well.
That's what I am today. And as a birthday present I requested having hand rails put in on our stairway. Foot problems still persist and I limp down the stairs in the morning (after that I'm pretty good) so I thought hand rails might be a blessing. Tetsu spent one day streaming with sweat putting in hand rails in two places on the stairs and now I can gracefully glide down... hanging on the handrail. Another gift of love from Tetsu (he wouldn't think of asking a professional to install them!)