Monday, April 22, 2013

Y-kun in 6th grade

Let's see... 


Y-kun is still coming weekly for English.  He still brings me vegetables each time he comes.  Sometimes I don't know what to do with them (like two or three stalks of bamboo shoots. They hardly fit in my pot!)  Y-kun and I still have a weekly routine of cooking up whatever vegetable he has brought me.  Both of us trying to figure out what we might add, whether something should be boiled or fried or mixed up with something else.  Y-kun says he doesn't cook at home but he sure looks like a pro to me.  I think he finds it humorous that his mature, female English teacher has no idea how to cook some things.  He takes his role as official "taster" very seriously.  Weekly he acts like he's king of my kitchen!

As we cook I ask Y-kun about his grandfather...  The grandfather is still in the hospital, probably a rehabilitation center.  He recognizes people but can't sit up alone and can't talk.  Y-kun doesn't have much to say on the subject unless to mention that the grandfather is battling pneumonia or has had convulsions.  I can't read how this affects him... Y-kun always seems cheerful.  I don't think I've ever seen him sad.

Y-kun is in sixth grade this year so I probably have only one more year with him.  Despite his "enthusiasm" for things (he sends the cats into typhoon formation) I still insist that he is a bright boy trying to overcome his disadvantages.  Though he probably doesn't get good grades in school he just seems clever to me...  able to work out problems, not just in English, but normal puzzles of life, like how to get a drawer unstuck, how to make Choco be quiet.  So many kids just sit and don't try to use their brains but Y-kun always is wildly figuring, planning, trying things out. I wonder what will happen to him when he hits his rebellious years...  I wonder if he'll just get pushed aside in the competitiveness of Japanese education. 

I wonder if he'll disappear from my life like most of my students.
 

9 comments:

Nancy J said...

I do hope Y-kun flies through the next few years, with some happiness, fun, and the attitude to accept how he is himself.A problem solver, so needed in so many situations, he will do well if he applies himself to these. There will be a big gap when his visits stop. Cheers from Jean

Cindy Nielsen said...

Tania, I am always so impressed with all you do for this boy. I am sure you are making a difference in his life. I hope he will stay in touch with you. I think he will turn out just fine.i love your stories about him. I also love hearing all things Japanese. I lived in Japan for 3 1/2 years.
Thanks for sharing,
Cindy Nielsen UT

twebsterarmstrong said...

You never know: he might be the Japanese Steve Jobs or Bill Gates. Maybe an Albert Schweitzer.

One never knows.

Julie Fukuda said...

I can see how concerning this must be. Even schools in the states often don't value those fine qualities of positive thinking and problem solving. Just give us the calm kid who does what he is told. You probably have made a lasting difference in this boy's life and his attitude to learning. Keep it up as long as possible and pray for the rest.

judyjj said...

He will carry your good influence with him forever.

Ida said...

He seems to be a kid with a good heart and who cares.Since he feels "at home" in your kitchen you must have shown him love and trusted him with your pots and pans. I'll write him in my prayer book and from time to time I'm sure God will remind me of Y-kun.
Thanks for sharing

Marlene said...

Tanya,
He is so lucky to have you as his 'guide' and I can see how lucky you are to have him in your life all these years.
Enjoy these next few months together and I hope you both stay in touch with each other.

BrendaLou said...

Tanya, I add an "Amen" to the above comments. He's on my prayer list so I'm glad to get an update once in awhile. Y-kun has been placed in your pathway for a reason...I think your influence will go far in his life.

Anonymous said...

Whatever the future brings for Y-kun, you can be assured that he will never forget your kindness to him.
Regards from Gail in Wa State