Monday, May 20, 2013

Just a little thing

The other day I sent some packages off at the post office.  The post office girls know me as I go in quite a lot to send letters or packages and do my banking (yes!  banking at the post office!)  A couple of years ago they got to know me VERY well when I got involved with sending off used obis to people all over the world who contributed to the Japanese Red Cross.  Every couple of days I'd go in with a new wrapped up obi and the girls would weigh the package and I would pay the postage.

"Could you please put stamps on that for me?  I'd rather have stamps than the little label thingy."

Stamps (I suppose in any country) are so beautiful and interesting.  Sometimes Japanese stamps sheets will have illustrations extending off the individual stamps and onto the sheet and it seems a shame to remove only the stamps.  Often my packages would have the whole sheet on the back of my package just so the pretty effect wasn't lost.  The girls got very good at putting as many different stamps on my packages as possible!

Anyway...  last week I sent off some packages and asked for stamps as usual.  And I did my banking at the next window and forgot something so I had to make a trip home.  I came back an hour later and as I passed the post office window I recalled that I hadn't put my return address on one of the packages.

"Is that package I mailed still here?  I think it doesn't have a return address."

The package was in the back room and the girl brought it out for me.

"I know you like the pretty stamps and sheets so I decorated your package.  I hope that was alright."

The post office girl had taken the time to cut out a kimono figure from the disposable part of another stamp sheet and had arranged it artistically on the front of the package.  I wish I'd thought to take a picture but I was busy assuring the girl that I just LOVED the little touch she had added.  The girl was so happy that she cut out another kimono figure for me to use another time.

The post office girl didn't have to add that extra touch and it was just by chance that I asked to have my package back to add the return address. Though she didn't expect me to ever know that she'd done an extra service, she took the time to make my package recipient happy.

Just a little thing...

12 comments:

Nancy J said...

Tanya, maybe something little to the lovely postshop girl, when she cut out and fixed the beautiful kimono dressed lady , but extra special to you and the parcel receiver. Stamps are still very much a collector's item here too. Cheers from Jean.

Anonymous said...

That is indeed a pretty stamp or "remainder". At one time I collected stamps... sort of the way I collect fabric now.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely, thoughtful gesture, and how typically Japanese! As for me, I haven't been inside a post office for a while (thanks to the interweb), but I remember sending airmail letters back home, and the clerk offering me a choice of beautiful stamps to put on the envelope instead of simply franking with an rubber stamp. I do think that Japanese postage stamps are some of the most beautiful in the world!

Deborah said...

That is so wonderful. Isn't it nice to witness random acts of kindness.

Marcie said...

Not such a little thing really. How lovely to find someone who does more than just her duty.

Karen in South Jersey said...

What a very thoughtful young woman. I have saved stamps for years in a large glass jar. Some countries have the most beautiful stamps just like artwork.

June said...

Our PO ladies get very annoyed if I ask them to use stamps. One of them is nasty even. Thank you for your recent prayer for my health, I am some better now. God Bless!

Pat Heinbaugh said...

Tanya, I still have all the stamps from the packages you sent me!!! People really enjoy looking at them, as much as what was in the packages....hugs, Pat in IN

Sue in LA said...

How sweet of her. That made me smile.

The Calico Quilter said...

How utterly different from the post office workers I encounter. They make me feel like I'm infringing on their day by daring to get in line at their station. Given that the postal service is in deep trouble due to the decreases in snail mail in the US, they should be standing at the door thanking us for coming in!

Bless her heart, your post office girl, what a sweetie!

Julie Fukuda said...

That is really unusual. I have been a stamp collector all my life and always try to put on stamps for others. I get the feeling the PO people hate to see me coming. (we could get her out of here quicker by just running off a label, they must be thinking....

Ann said...

What a kind girl! Loved your little story!