Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Neighborhood wisteria

Tetsu and I get out early on weekends and walk Choco a bit farther than usual.  Wherever we go Tetsu asks me

"Aren't you going to take a picture of this?"

which results in an awful lot of pictures.  He needs to get his own camera!

So these are some pictures of what we've seen lately...


There is a temple within walking distance which is hardly visited by anyone EXCEPT for one week in May when the wisteria blooms.  It seems to have a very old wisteria vine that stretches over a good part of the temple grounds.  Tetsu and I (and Choco) walked over before the rest of the world was awake and tried to capture the delicate blossoms digitally.  We couldn't capture the wisteria fragrance!


Bees were buzzing around the blossoms.


The trunk of the vine is huge and there is an elaborate support system for the elderly branches.


 From the temple porch.


Actually there are wild wisteria all around us which are just as beautiful but a little higher up in the trees and hard to photo.  Such a lovely time of year!

5 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

Camping at Ikego last weekend, there were wisteria vines climbing to the tops of trees on the hillside and big blobs of purple in every direction. One would need a super telephoto lens to get a shot at those! Your pictures are lovely ... with or without Tetsu's prodding.

BrendaLou said...

I bet the aroma is delightful. If I close my eyes and breathe deeply I can imagine. Such delicate beauties with such a huge trunk!

Sue in LA said...

I think that wisteria is really beautiful. Thank you for taking and sharing those wonderful photos!

apiecefullife said...

That is beautiful!
At the moment the wisteria outside my window is covered in yellow Autumn leaves

Ann said...

I love wisteria! Pitty that they don't last very long!
What a beautifull setting - and a respectably aged wisteria plant/tree/??? ;-)