Saturday, May 04, 2013

Spring flowers

Random flower pictures today.  Spring has arrived and there are flowers blooming in the forest and around my house.


I had to look this flower up in the dictionary; it is called a Japanese Rose (Yamabuki) but it doesn't look much like a rose to me.  Maybe a wild tree rose?  There is this many petaled variety (which is taking over my yard) and another single petal variety that is seen in the depths of the forest.


This is called Daikonbana, and it also grows along the roadsides and at the edge of the rice fields.


Of all the cherry blossoms, this many petaled variety blooms last...  (If I was ambitious I'd go pick some fresh petals and pack them in salt...  Good for making cherry blossom tea or cherry blossom rice.)


This strip of land is not far from our house either.  The row of houses next to the road have cooperated to plant the colorful Shibazakura.


Driving somewhere I spotted Peonies blooming in front of a house.  I guess Peonies aren't too strong in the sun and the gardener put up an umbrella to protect his flowers.  I love the Japanese umbrella there rather than a plain old plastic one.


I tried my hand at photographing a closeup of a dandelion tuft.  So pretty and delicate.

How close can I get?

9 comments:

Nancy J said...

Super close-up, and peonies, I think they are the " Queen of blooms", to me. The umbrella adds such a perfect finish to the garden . Cheers from Jean

Anonymous said...

The Ueno Park Peony Garden in Tokyo is gorgeous. Here is a link to another blog with wonderful photos. The bamboo parasols are used extensively. Kathie

Anonymous said...

http://myphotosofjapan.blogspot.com/2011/05/peony-garden-in-ueno-park.html

Sorry, here is the link to the Ueno garden photos.
Kathie

Julie Fukuda said...

The "Yamabuki" is Kerria japonica. The general family is Rosaceae but that includes about 2000 species of trees and shrubs worldwide. (Apples, plumbs, cherries, hawthorns, and even mountain-ashes. I love that dandilion!

Sandy said...

They call the dandelion tufts 'clocks' here...from a children's game in which the number of puffs needed to blow the seeds from a dandelion is supposed to tell the time.
Sandy in the UK

Frog Quilter said...

I am enjoying your pictures. Keep them coming!

Marlene said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Cassandra said...

Pretty!! Daikon... is that independent of the vegetable or is that what the daikon plant looks like?

Unknown said...

In the north of England where I grew up we always called the dandelion seed heads 'dandelion clocks' and we would count the number of puffs it would take us to blow all the seeds off it - this was supposed to be the time. As you can imagine as they are a pernicious weed we weren't popular with any proud gardeners in the vicinity particularly my father