Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Tiny sewing again

What are these?


My watch band broke a couple of weeks ago and I've been meaning to go buy a new one.  Boring black or brown.

I remembered coming across an article in a June, 2004 Fons and Porter magazine about making a watch band.  Is that really possible?


Well, it is possible but it is a lot of work too!  So tiny!  The magazine article gave instructions for a crazy quilt type of watch band.  I wanted triangles..  And after sewing, turning these little things right side out was a real bear!!!


The watch spring bars go through loops of grosgrain ribbon...  And let me tell you, that ribbon frays pretty easily.  I had to make three tries.  And it pulls there too so I reinforced my top-stitch quite heavily... Not the neatest job.


The magazine suggested using Velcro.  I looked at my old broken watch band lying beside the sewing machine and wondered if I could reuse the gold clasp instead...  It would mean punching a hole or two in the band... It would mean adding a flap loop...


I did it!  My watch now has a new watchband.  I don't know how sturdy this is going to be... Maybe I can learn from experience and the next one I make will go smoother.

8 comments:

Marcie said...

Wow, well done! I'd love to make myself a fabric band, but have never been able to work out how to do it. Maybe I'll have a go...

Sandy said...

how very wonderful!
if you do the grosgrain ribbon again, you could seal the cut ends with something that would work like a plastic template cutter. or even a bit of candle flame, but that may take a few tries to get the control so the flame only sears it and not melts the whole thing!
Sandy in the UK

Pat Heinbaugh said...

Tanya, I don't come close to your sewing expertise, but maybe some fray-chek would work on the ribbons??? The watch band is a very clever thing, but I don't think I have the patience to try the tiny, tiny pieces. I'm glad you do..and the results were great!! Hugs, Pat in IN

Nancy said...

As Sandy suggested, a flame works great to seal the cut edges of the grosgrain ribbon.

Nancy J said...

Small and tiny always seems to be so much more difficult to sew, love the pattern. Cheers from Jean.p.s. lovely stitching too.

Julie Fukuda said...

Good job going with the buckle. Velcro just loves pet hair!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

How inventive! Such a fun watch. Cute!

Ann said...

Lovely! You know have a unique piece that YOU made! Congrats!
But I can imagine that it must have been very fussy and tiny and frustrating and ... :-)
Enjoy wearing it!
Ann