Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Onward to the feathers

I have started quilting my Alphabet Soup quilt. (Is that really the name I've given this quilt? It seems so inelegant...)

The borders are on... I decided to do the borders in two colors. I'm not sure why and I'm not sure it was a good idea or not. Too bad. They are now made that way. Both mottled batiks, one in reddish tones, one in blue... Maybe someday when the whole quilt is put together you can see what I was aiming at. I realized when I washed the batik borders that they bled more than I thought they would. Gulp. I DID NOT wash all the batiks before I used them. So the finished quilt I guess will remain mine and if it bleeds then I will mark it up to a "hand dyed, blended" look. Positive thinking don't you think?!

So staring long and hard at a quarter of the quilt on the floor I came up with feathers in some of the larger blocks. How to do that is another problem. What's this sitting along the wall? An old glass piece that came out of a cupboard.

Place it on the quilt and start drawing some feathers...(I think I've seen Mary do this with a computer or picture program but I don't know how to do that.) Okay... If I make a grid then basically I'll know what direction I should move and I'll be able to do feathers (...maybe).

I REALLY basted that quarter quilt together with safety pins! Onward GO~~~!

And I managed my first row of feathers... So far so good.

BUT, there is a lot more unquilted space in the smaller squares and I don't know what to do with those yet... This is going to be a long process.

And besides which, I've run out of batting for the other three quarters so I'll have to go order another roll.

At least I've begun...

No comments: