I've been up in the sewing room working on the Fiery Starr border. Feathers seem to complement the inner feathers the best so I marked the quilt lightly with a spine curve and then started in sewing freehand feathers. (Somewhere it was suggested to mark a quilt I with a sliver of soap... Memo to myself. You can't hold a sliver of soap in your mouth like you can a pencil when moving a quilt... Yuck.)
As usual it takes a bit of time to get into a rhythm of sewing feathers.
"Can I really do this or am I just making a mess?"
After a few false starts I sewed one border with half of a feather. And didn't like it...
Sigh. Well my theory with machine quilting is the more sweeps around the less the glitches show so I added another line of stitching within the feathers... Better! This is how it is going to go! I'll keep you updated.
And while I'm downstairs in the warmth I have been buttonhole appliqueing.
Mrs. Furui has been asking me to think up a quilt for her volunteer group at the hospital to make. She wants to put an autumn quilt up on the hospital wall. Now I don't know these ladies at all... but Mrs. Furui would not let up. She's working on a summer quilt for the hospital wall so that's why I got the assignment of the autumn quilt.
I've seen dual image quilts before... but some seemed too complicated and as I say, I don't really know what these ladies can do... Simple is best. So from an Internet picture I made my own simple leaf pattern and have been experimenting. I think the original pattern was in Quiltmakers magazine but I don't have the pattern itself. This is pretty easy... I'll head over to Mrs. Furui's and see what she thinks.