Thursday, March 05, 2009

Labels and quilting

I did get a label made for my 365 Challenge. I wrote a bit of information and then also added a poem that Liz had sent me a while back entitled Life's a Patchwork. I thought it was suitable for a quilt of one year of life.

I also started machine quilting the Winding Ways quilt. Not bad, not bad. I used the walking foot to quilt inside the 6 major circles and though a little jerky in places the overall effect is what I was hoping for. I loved the advice to just get in there and start quilting! If I wait until I think I'm good enough I'll never get anything made and won't get the practice either.

So I quilted. Definitely easier (this is smaller, right?) than the 365 Challenge. What to do with the "background"? I made a fabric sandwich and did a bit of stipple practicing. These are trying to be waves in a pond. Takes some stretching of imagination, I know. But I went at it and though I got confused in a couple of places, I quilted about a 1/4 of the background. BUT HORRORS! I've run out of quilting thread! I don't know how I do it every time. I really didn't think I'd used this thread for much before and I couldn't tell how much thread was still on the spoon when I started but it seemed like a lot (wrong).

Yesterday I went to the fabric shop to see if I could find more of the same thread. Nope. Actually I don't even know where I bought this. Maybe America. Certainly not in the local quilt shop because I noticed that though they carried Coats and Clark, they did NOT carry any thread specifically for machine quilting. It was either All-purpose or Hand quilting. That makes sense since I don't know anyone else who does machine quilting. And none of the thread was in the variegated color that I used so I'm up a creek. I bought Hand quilting variegated thread in a green-brown. Maybe I can pretend I was PLANNING a thread color change on the other three quarters of this quilt...

5 comments:

Mimi said...

Your quilting looks wonderful! I think you did a great job.

Hmmmm, running out of thread and no more like it to be found. Now THAT's a problem.

As I always say, creativity often comes from things not going according to original plans!

Hugs, Mimi

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

The quilting is wonderful, any port in the storm, as they say. It looks fantastic, don't stress.

The Calico Quilter said...

Do you have the label on the spool? If you send me all the info from it I can look around and see if I can find the thread. Is it a spool or a cone?

The waves are very nice and suit the quilt design. I am also flabbergasted by how much thread is in a quilt!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Your waves look wonderful. I recently used them on a quilt I quilted and I loved how it turned out...so much fun!

mamaspark said...

Me too, tell me the info from the label and maybe I will be able to find it here in the US.