Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Non computer literate (as always)

Let's see. Grumble, grumble, pout, pout.

Yesterday I went to the electronics store and bought myself an external hard drive. While in the States my brother had suggested that I buy a flash drive and at least save my pictures (which I've never done) or else someday I'd be sad. One of his computers crashed a few months ago and they lost many of their old pictures. So taking my brother's advice I bought a 16 gigabyte flash drive. Of course I didn't really know how to use that but my brother did download my pictures into it for me.

Good. My problem is finished... Except that the flash drive seemed very small and it was more likely that I'd lose that before my laptop crashed. Takumi then stepped in the picture and said what I ought to do is buy an external drive.

"I have no idea what you are talking about and I haven't even gotten the steps in my head about how to backup pictures on the flash drive like you uncle just explained to me."

Still, Takumi seemed to think an external hard disk that would sit on the desk and not get moved around would be best (and hold more stuff.)

A few days later when Leiya and I were visiting Takumi she needed some data from his computer transferred to hers (I guess) and both children suggested that I give up my newly made flash drive so that they could use it,

"because you're going to buy an external hard drive anyway when you get back to Japan."

So I came back to Japan without having any of my pictures (from 9 years previous!) backed up. And wouldn't you know when I got back to Japan my computer froze on me (changing routers? interrupted security service?) and I spent a couple of frazzled hours trying to get my computer functioning again. Yes, I really need to back up my computer!

I discussed the external hard drive with the boy in the electronic shop. He assured me that it was very easy to use. No installation required, just plug in and go. I explained how I do not like having to read instructions in Japanese. Shouldn't be a problem. I got home. Plugged things in and lots of windows started popping up and different dialog boxes began blinking. Tanya, you can do this... Somewhere along the line the external hard drive let me know it was backing up my entire computer.

"Oh. That's nice of you. I didn't know you were going to do that but that might make my job easier."

Unfortunately though I started at 3:00 pm, it was still backing things up at 10:30 when I went to bed.

This morning I come to my computer and can find no trace of anything backed or even a way to back things up. As far as my external drive is concerned we are meeting for the first time.

"Starting initial computer backup. This will take a few hours..."

"No! Wait. You did all that yesterday!"

I'm taking the external drive AND the computer to the shop today. I sure hope someone will be able to explain it to me.

No comments: