Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tessellating cats... done for awhile

For me, this year's Japanese summer will be remembered as the tessellating cats in the sauna.

I don't know when my sewing room has been so uncomfortable! No air conditioning up there and I was afraid to turn on the small electric fan because I was already having problems keeping all the little squares and triangles organized! So I just sewed and dripped.

Tessellating Cats doesn't have a border yet and there is still a lot of handwork to do (embroider eyes and whiskers on all these cats!) but the main THINKING part is done. All my cats are up there in bright cheerful colors!

I could have given a bit more consideration to my color choices... I thought I HAD! I planned this out but I see I could have pondered a bit longer. The purple cat is made of two colors and the darker triangles get lost next to the black. On the other side the yellow-pink cat got too mixed up with the yellow background. And here I thought I was doing so well putting it in the middle of the quilt... Ah well... That yellow by the way has tiny little mice on it with cheese blocks? Hmm. I guess that's what those are trying to be. I doubt that anyone is ever going to look that closely at this quilt but I liked the idea of the cats being surrounded by mice... See... I did give this quilt a lot of thought.

I'm proud of myself for getting this done fairly quickly and for being so adventurous in using brights. Many of these are from way back when the Calico Cat sent me some of her bright left overs. And I'm proud of myself for not giving into the temptation to chuck it all and go take a nap in front of the downstairs air conditioning!

Work starts for me tomorrow again... Even though Tessellating Cats isn't finished I'm ready to start something new... (Can you see more UFO's piling up?)

No comments: