Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Goya

Wednesday morning (today) I am always racing and need to be out of the house by 8:45. (It is 8:17 now!) No time to write.

Pictures...pictures...

Do you know what this vegetable is? It is popular in the southern islands of Japan, Okinawa, but I think only in the past 10 years has made it to my part of Japan. This is called goya and I can't even find it in my Japanese-English dictionary. It is also known as a bitter gourd and bitter it is!!! It is NOT Tetsu's favorite food but if it is cooked a bit it loses some of its bitterness and tastes very nice mixed with bland tofu and bland scrambled eggs. Sorry didn't make that for dinner last night so no picture of that dish.

Isn't it pretty hanging there? It is eaten while still green so the red ones have already gone to pot... Hmmm. Maybe I'll make goya tonight for dinner. Tetsu can pretend he is in Okinawa.

Okay, I have GOT TO GO! It is 8:27!

No comments: