Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Katsudon recipe

Poor Tetsu.

Last night he came home in a bad mood. Office meetings resulted in disgruntled people many of them angry at Tetsu. While he is pretty laid back at home I hear that he is strict and grumpy and unsmiling at work. I don't think I'd like to work under him! (So how come I can live with him?)

"Nobody gave me Valentine's chocolate today. I'm sure not very well liked at work."

Ah, but he is loved at home.

Last night I made Tetsu's favorite dinner. Katsudon. He loves Katsudon so much that whenever we go out his eyes zero in on Katsudon on the menu.

"Don't you get tired of that? I don't think eating so much Katsudon is good for you."

But it was Valentine's Day so I made him Katsudon.

Ingredients:
  1. Two deep fried breaded pork cutlets (Of course these could be home made but I cheat and buy ready made in the store.)
  2. 1 sliced onion
  3. 3 eggs lightly scrambled
  4. 1 Tablespoon sweet mirin (sweet white wine will work... or skip it entirely)
  5. 3 Tablespoons sugar
  6. 1 Tablespoon osake or white wine
  7. 2 Tablespoons soy sauce.
  8. 100 ml fish soup stock (called dashi) or water... about half a cup.
Stir fry the sliced onions in a wok or fry pan. Add the mirin, sugar, osake, soy sauce and dashi. Bring to a boil. Add the sliced pork cutlets. Do not stir. Pour the eggs over the cutlets and place lid on pan at very low heat until the egg sets slightly. Serve over rice.

I also made Tetsu some peanut butter cookies with chocolate hearts pressed on top.

This morning Tetsu said,

"Thank you for last night's great dinner. You're the only one who loves me."

"Well, I wouldn't like it if someone else did too."

No comments: