Thursday, February 16, 2012

Machine applique anyone?

Last week I passed my Crazy Goose Chase quilt on to Mrs. Furui to hand quilt.

This week she handed over her flower basket medallion block for me to machine applique.

A few weeks ago I had breezily suggested that the block would be easier to machine quilt and that I could do it for her in exchange for some hand quilting.

BUT... I realize now that I don't really know how to machine applique!

That's not completely true. I've machine appliqued before with fair results. (I can't think of anything off the top of my head though... I HAVE done this before haven't I? Or has that just been in my dreams?)

I DON'T want to do zig-zag stitch on the machine. I'm thinking of free-motion stitching around (on) all of the little bitty pieces. I went back on-line to see if I could find some videos that would inspire me but most machine applique videos were promoting zig-zag. I remember Sharon Schamber used to have videos of her machine appliqueing but I think one can only see those now if you are a member...

I've looked through a lot of the magazines that Julia sent me... and there are some gorgeous artistic quilts with free motion machine applique. Yes, I think I can do this!

But I'm a bit fearful of placing Mrs. Furui's lovely block under the needle.... Gulp.

Any advice?

No comments: