Saturday, April 20, 2013

Pheasants

On our morning walk today I spent some time stalking a pair of pheasants.  We can hear pheasants squawking in the forest and occasionally one will dash along the rice fields.  The males are noisy and quite flashy but if I have seen a female I've probably mistaken it for a quail (we have those too.)

I took my camera a telephoto lens with me this morning and with Tetsu holding on to Choco went out to see what we could see.

"A pheasant!  Hang on to Choco.  I'm going to see if I can photograph it."


"Hold still pheasant.  Show me your handsome red head."


Ah.  There is a female camoflagued in the field.  She certainly isn't as pretty as her husband.


Yeah!  Look at the feather markings on his back.  Just beautiful.  I hope this pheasant couple will soon have little pheasants running around after them.
 

5 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

We used to have lots of pheasants running around advertising their presence to the lady-folk. I like the whir as they ruffle their feathers. Sadly, the encroaching city has chased foxes and other animals into the area and the cries of the Bamboo partridge is all we hear these days.

Cassandra said...

What pretty birds!! I'm glad you were able to get good photos of them! Just as a side note - why are all female birds not as pretty as the males?? I understand the genetics of the man being the one who needs to attract the mate and thus is flashy, but why can't the girls be pretty too?? :) :)

Nancy J said...

Super photo Tanya, little pheasants? That will be a sure sign sping has arrived in your place.Did you feel the last earthquake? Hope all is safe with you. Cheers from Jean

judyjj said...

Beautiful!

Pat Heinbaugh said...

I love to see the male pheasant, strutting his stuff..have never seen a female or a young pheasant. Yes, in this case, the husband is the more beautiful of the two..chuckle...Pat in IN