Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Connections again

I wanted to tell everyone about a comment I received yesterday about my Edamame post. I was so excited this morning!

"Tanya, I have been reading your blog now for quite some time and just love the way you write about your life and quilting. Today I just had to comment when I read about your grandparents selling in the Midwest and making soy sauce. We are from Columbia City, Indiana and there used to be a company called Oriental Show-You Co. As far as I know this was the only Oriental Co. in Indiana. Was this where your Grandparents lived and his name Shingo Ohkie? My husband says he remembers seeing him around town and always wore a straw hat. He also remembers where they lived and they had a Japanese garden. If this is your grandfather it certainly is a small world."

Yes, we are talking about the same person! My grandfather's name was Shinzo Ohki and he owned the Oriental Show-You Co. Isn't that amazing! I had forgotten that he often wore a straw hat and yes, I remember my mother telling me that he made a Japanese garden for his factory complete with a stone lantern he fashioned from cement.

I think this is so neat that paths cross in the cyber world and connections are made. This is the fifth time I've been contacted by someone through my blog. An old friend who came across her name on my blog. A blogger who recognized Leiya's name in her town's newspaper. Another person who was checking out Leiya's name in the Internet world for college connections, and someone else who wrote because they were checking out the name Leiya for their own baby. (I guess it pays to have an unusual name like Leiya).

I was so thrilled to think that someone who has visited my blog remembers my grandfather though he passed on over 40 years ago!

I'm hoping this anonymous commenter will write again (I sent her an e-mail) and I can learn more about her family. My mom is going to be so excited to hear that I've "met" someone from her childhood home!

7 comments:

Hedgehog said...

What an amazing small world story!

Quilt Pixie said...

the world is one big network, and you're sure getting lots of evidence of that :-)

Elaine Adair said...

What a rewarding story! Our huge world is not so huge after all!

Elaine Adair said...

What a rewarding story! Our huge world is not so huge after all!

Mary said...

It is exciting you connect with someone through the blog isn't it? I always like hearing from people who read my blog and have connections to the places I'm writing about and to find someone that knew your grandfather and his company is very cool.

Marilyn R said...

"It's a small world afterall" is right! How much fun is that?

artfilstitch said...

I am so happy for you and this "wonderful small world". This is so exciting and I know that your Mother will be so thrilled to hear about your new blog friend that is connected to your family's heritage.