Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Mrs. Ochiai's quilt

I'm not doing anything exciting recently. The rain keeps falling. It makes me wonder about Noah. Which reminds me that I have never found the July embroidery block for Lynette's BOM Noah's Ark project. I started it at the beginning of the month and had finished all but the yellow spots on the giraffes because I didn't have any bright yellow. I put the block aside for a few days while I got around to buying yellow floss but when I was ready to finish the block I couldn't find it. I'm still looking (though I did find my ironing board.) I have cleaned this house fairly thoroughly (those non-animal loving guests last week) but the block didn't turn up. Maybe I'll just move onto the August block which should be out soon and in the remaining 6 or 7 months hopefully my unfinished block will turn up somewhere...



My friend Mrs. Ochiai sent me a couple pictures of her finished quilt that she's been working on this summer. I think it was in May that we helped her baste the quilt and get it ready for hand quilting. I haven't seen the quilt in person yet but Ochiai-san said that she quilted in grey thread (remember we were teasing her and suggesting she quilt in rainbow colors). She sure did a nice job of making those circles so concentric and I love the way the circle pattern bumps into each other... Sort of like the rings that raindrops make when the splash in the puddles! Rats! The pictures don't seem to enlarge. (Why do pictures enlarge on this blog sometimes and won't at other times.) I'll get to see this quilt up close on Thursday and maybe take some more pictures though Mrs. Ochiai's pictures are pretty good. Great job Ochiai-san!


11 comments:

Julie said...

I know from personal experience that the best way to find that block is to give up and make another one. Then the old one will show up and you can use it to make a little bag or something.
Mrs. Ochiai's quilt is very pretty and I love her hand quilting too.

dot said...

A very lovely quilt indeed. Mrs. Ochiai should be very happy and proud of this quilt.

QuiltingFitzy said...

I believe it's because you move them around. I post them from last to first, then I place the text in and around. Seems to work for me.

I LOVE Mrs. Ochiai's quilt!

Janet C said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Janet C said...

Such a lovely and well-done quilt.
I'm sure your 'missing' piece will turn up someday!

Margaret said...

Your Giraffes will poke their heads out one day and you will ask, " how did you get there" nice quilt wish I was so clever

Marilyn R said...

You will find the missing block when you are not looking for it. That is the way it seems to work for me! Mrs. Ochiai's quilt is stunning! Love the circle pattern that she quilted.

AmyB said...

An excellent example of how the quilting makes the quilt -- those circles give it amazing life and depth. Sing our praises to Mrs. Ochiai!

Elaine Adair said...

Those circles are just lovely! Makes me want to pick up some hand quilting myself! They are the PERFECT pattern for quilting!

Connie W said...

Mrs. Ochiai's quilt is beautiful in its simplicity of design and color, very classic.

Shasta said...

What a beautiful quilt. If I didn't have so many WIPS, I would make this quilt right now. The quilting really makes it.