Saturday, September 06, 2008

Saturday morning

Saturday morning and Tetsu and I have taken Choco for a walk and picked up trash around the fields. It doesn't seem to matter where we walk or for how long, each Saturday we come back with two full bags of trash, one of cans and bottles and one of paper and plastic. Occasionally we miss a Saturday because of the rain but the quanity of trash is always about the same. I think that is sort of interesting. Never too much for us to carry, never too little (unfortunately). For all the years of Saturdays I guess that adds up to a lot of trash and though the areas we've perused look pretty good for a day or two, by the next Saturday there is enough trash again for two bags...I've talked about my philosophy on picking up trash here so I won't go into it again.

Chip is getting visibly bigger. She plays constantly and likes to jump on Velvet who is somewhat tolerant. Since Chip arrived nearly three weeks ago, the other cats have gotten used to her. All four cats will eat together and I occasionally find Chip sitting beside another of our kitties so she has been accepted as part of the family. (Still keeping her away from Choco.) Interestingly however, amongst the other three older cats there is a lot of bickering going on and for some reason Velvet gets the brunt of the bullying. Velvet has always been the sweetest and most lovable of our kitties so I'm constantly rescuing him.

One of my friends gave me a kitty collar (and food dish and cat box) for Chip but she's not going to be able to use it for awhile. Even on the smallest adjustment, it just slipped around her neck and she got tangled in it. Looks very cute though and they bell would help me locate her when she's playing in another room but I'll have to wait another couple of weeks.


12 comments:

Quilt Pixie said...

its amazing how one small change makes the whole cat clan re-evaluate its hierarchy -- or at least it does mine and that's what it sounds like is going on in your home... I'm glad to hear chip is fitting in more and more, and is at least tolerated if not loved by the others. :-)

Laura said...

What a sweet little kitty. I rescued one out of my mail truck engine a few weeks ago and brought it home with me.

The Calico Quilter said...

I would think it will take some time for everything to get sorted out in your kitty clan. Just by arriving, Chip has "stirred the pot" and may be reawakening some old rivalries.

I am always afraid to put a collar on a small kitten. They are so agile and get into some tight places. I fear that the collar will get hung up and hurt them. I have occasionally used collars with elastic inserts so they just pull off over their head if yanked on. Or there are some with those plastic quick release clasps that do the same thing.

Chip's a reall cutie. I love that "What can I get into next?" look small kittens have.

The Calico Quilter said...

I would think it will take some time for everything to get sorted out in your kitty clan. Just by arriving, Chip has "stirred the pot" and may be reawakening some old rivalries.

I am always afraid to put a collar on a small kitten. They are so agile and get into some tight places. I fear that the collar will get hung up and hurt them. I have occasionally used collars with elastic inserts so they just pull off over their head if yanked on. Or there are some with those plastic quick release clasps that do the same thing.

Chip's a reall cutie. I love that "What can I get into next?" look small kittens have.

Amanda said...

I've just followed the link to your original post about picking up litter. You are so right - and clearly a teacher, as teachers are so aware of this principle. That's why most teachers try to make their classrooms neat and attractive and teach the children to be responsible for keeping it that way. And I applaud you for actually doing something about it, so few people would. We had an anti-litter campaign in the UK about 15 or 20 years ago now, with big fines being imposed on people caught littering, and it seems to have worked reasonably well.

meggie said...

I have often wondered how our 2 spoilt dogs would react to a cat!

Nancy said...

She's growing, but still has quite a ways before she's grown into those ears! She really makes me want to get a kitten.

Karen said...

Chip ... the name fits. I think it is great that you rescue those in need and find room in your home for one more :-)

artfilstitch said...

Chip is a real sweetie! The collar and bell looks so pretty on her...a person could just bring all of these little guys home to keep. You do such a great job with your photos.

Marilyn R said...

Chip is so cute posing with the Kat Rocks!

sewprimitive karen said...

Yes, Chip is so darling with paw on cat rock!

Diane said...

That photo of Chip and the cat rock is priceless! You should send a copy to the artist.